min wage increases

edited May 2014 in Minimum Wage
hi,

when will the new jersey minimum wage go up? would like to know before i tell my boss he has to update my labor law posters, but can't find info on the web.

thanks,
daniel

Comments

• Hi daniel,

Unfortunately no one can really say when the minimum wages will go up until your state government releases information about any plans to change it. Ultimately, it's up to them.

I would make periodic checks on the New Jersey state government website, http://www.state.nj.us/ to ensure you're all up to date.

Best of luck,
    Michelli
  • Just to add to Michelli's answer,

The most recent Federal minimum wage increase was back in 2009, increasing to $7.25.

New Jersey's most recent change took place this year, on Jan 1st, and increased to $8.25.

These wages are calculated and reevaluated on a yearly basis based on what's known as the cost of living formula. While there is a federal standard for this formula, each state has its own version, which results in the vast variety of minimum wages that you see spread across each state.

Obviously, raising the minimum wage can have a massive impact on the state and/or country's economy, so it doesn't happen very frequently. That said, it's best to check the link Michelli provided every so often for changes to the minimum wage law or any other labor law.

• thanks for the help guys! i'll definitely take your advice.