College student wages

Hi, I've been referred to the Full-Time Student Program by a friend but am not really sure what it is. I need to find a job to help support my way through college so I'm looking for any aid possible, and a program funded by the gov would probably help a lot.

Can anyone explain it? Does it affect wages or something?

Comments

• edited May 2014

The Full time student program is more for employers -

Based on this page: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/docs/ftsplink.asp the program allows for employers to obtain a certificate from the DOL which basically lets them pay student works 85% of the minimum wage. This program is exclusively for full-time students employed in retail or service stores, agriculture, or colleges and universities, and limits their working hours to eight hours a day, or 20 hours a week when school is in session and 40 hours when it's not.

Lastly, if while working you either graduate college or leave it and no longer considered a student, your wage would have to be bumped up to the state's min wage.

This program is attractive to employers for the lower wage, of course, but it's also an incentive for them to hire students, meaning it can work in your favor too if you're having some trouble finding work.

• Oh I understand. I guess the last bit you wrote is true...we'll see. thanks for the info and link, kevin